Greek English
 
Home Page / What to know / Sightings / Antiquities
Print this page
Antiquities
Vournes

The location “Vournes” is located south of the railway line towards Trachonistea. Its naming is related to the several basins (vournes) that were discovered in the area. In fact, broken basins, as well as pieces of processed stones are discovered even today, while stony tools have also been discovered in the area.

Litharkes Settlement  

Located west of the River of Akaki, in an area of the village of Menoiko, is the “Litharkes” settlement, which, according to the residents of the village, was inhabited until the modern years. Moreover, people say that its residents left the settlement and moved to Menoiko and Akaki. 

Chalopetra tis Kokkinis tou Kalogirou Settlement

This particular housing is found at the point where rivers Akakios and Litsidkia meet and it stretches towards the location Kokkini tou Kalogirou in the west. According to senior residents of the village, an important number of pottery and glass jars, as well as human and animal figurines have been discovered in the area.
At the same housing, according to Manoloudis*, a tomb raider once found a book, which he delivered to the hodja in Peristerona, since he could not read it himself and the latter gave him some money for it. After a while, the tomb raider asked the hodja about the book and he was informed that it had been lost. However, years later it was said that the disappearance of the book is linked to its content. In particular, the book referred to the right of the residents of Chalopetra to irrigate their land using water from the river of Peristerona and obviously its disappearance was connected to the efforts of the residents to reclaim this right.   
In fact, Father Loizos had found gold byzantine coins, some of which he donated to his son Hadjiconstantinos Ieromonachos, who was actually attacked by thieves and beaten up by them in their effort to steal the coins. However, their attempt was in vain since the thieves were not able to find anything.

Trounali

The location “Trounali” is located opposite the last Turkish Cypriot cemetery. During the works for the construction of the road leading from Nicosia to Morfou in 1964 various ancient objects, which are today kept in the Cyprus Museum, were found but, according to Manoloudis*, they are not on display. These objects included amphorae, clay figurines and vessels dated back to between 1900 and 1500 B.C.

Chalopetra ton Pigadion

This old housing is located between the locations Pigadia and Vrysoudia, along the road leading to Deneia, Kapsalera, Trachonistea and Asielia and according to Manoloudis, this was the last to be abandoned in the area. In particular, the following objects have been found in this housing:  

  • The icon of Metamorphosis which is now kept in the main church of Akaki.
  • A wooden cross of the same dimensions as the silver cross held by the priests during the Holy Mass. It was discovered by Georgios Hadji-Makris.
  • Several valuable amphorae, as this mentioned by several tomb raiders.
  • A mosaic. It was discovered in 1935. During the British Occupation it was enclosed, while today it remains without an enclosure and it has almost faded away. According to Manoloudis, it must have been the mosaic of some ruler of the area. What is also worth mentioning is that in the past the pupils of the Akaki Primary School use to visit the site with their teachers.
  • A pile of rocks, some of which were processed. Possibly, there used to be a church in the area, while senior residents of the village claim that there were even more churched in the area in the past. 

Souice:
*Georgios M. Manoloudis, “AKAKI – History and Tradition”, April 2001

 
 
WEATHER
 
 
 
CALENDAR
 
 November 2018 
MTWTFSS
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930 
 
CONTACT US
 
Community Council of Akaki
2720 Akaki
Arch, Makariou C΄ 55
Tel.: 22822351
Fax: 22824523
 
 
 
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc